Stereotype: a common belief about a group of people that is believed to apply to everyone in that group
*The second video is for older children. As always pre-screen before sharing with your children.
Stereotypes Lesson for Kids: Definition & Examples – Video & Lesson Transcript | Study.com
Boys and Girls on Stereotypes – YouTube
Why Do You Think Stereotypes Are True? | Decoded | MTV News – YouTube
How to Talk To Children About Stereotypes – TeacherVision
Talking to kids about gender stereotypes | MediaSmarts
Raising A Legacy Bookshop under Stereotypes
Jaime is Jaime | Raising A Legacy
- What are some things that you think these types of groups have in common: girls, athletes, firefighters? Describe things that you think they would wear, like to do, eat, etc.
- Using the answers to the previous question can you find anyone that is different than what you describe.
- What are some things that people think you like to do based on your identity? (More on teaching identity here: Identity | Raising A Legacy)
- Watch a couple of commercials from each of the videos below.
- How do they portray girls versus boys?
- What stereotypes do you observe?
- What type of person is each toy being marketed to? Are these the only types of people that like the specific toy?
- How can this be harmful?
Coolest Toys 2020 Every Kid – You Will Be Really Amazed – Available On Amazon – YouTube
Best Toys ???? Club Petz Betzy ???? Best Toys Commercials – YouTube
- Watch the following commercial. How is this different than the other ones? Touching Halloween PSA Brings Awareness To Gender Stereotypes In Children – YouTube
- What ways can you stand up against stereotypes?